Friday, April 15, 2011

Weekend Assignment #366: You're Doing It Wrong

Please note: I am extending the deadline on this Assignment for one week, to Wednesday night April 27th. This is to give people (including me!) more time to come up with an entry despite a busy holiday week (Holy Week and Passover). We will resume our usual schedule with Weekend Assignment #367 on April 28th.--KFB.


Weekend Assignment #366: You're Doing It Wrong
Tell us about a mistake you made: directions botched or misunderstood, minor disasters suffered because you did something incorrectly. I'm thinking of problems with "Some Assembly Required" projects, maps misread and appointments missed, problems learning to use technology, etc., preferably with hilarious results!


Extra Credit: How good are you at giving directions, or teaching others to do something correctly?

You know how this works, right?

  • You have until next Wednesday night to answer this question in your blog or in the comments below.
  • If you do participate, please leave a comment here with your name and the URL of your entry.
  • Don't forget to link back to here in the entry itself. 
That's all there is to it! Please play this week if you can. It's not nearly as much fun without you!

Last week, I asked about your tax preparation strategies. Apparently nobody wanted to talk about taxes except me. But appearances are deceiving, because Anne did the Assignment and forgot to mention it! :)

Karen said...

Even though I'm an accountant, and furthermore rely on my favorite tax preparation software, income tax preparation still intimidates me, almost every year. This year I was worried about the amended tax forms I got from First Magnus Liquidation Trust, and about the 40 boxes of donations to St. Michael's to sell at the English Faire, the dregs of which I hadn't finished cataloging after many hours of work on it. Plus I recently started working full time again, and had less time for chores at home. So I'd put it off until the very end of March, or possibly the first of April.
Anne said...

Once upon a time (read as: up until this year), I pulled my paperwork together as soon as humanly possible and loaded up the Turbo Tax.  The faster one files, the faster one receives the refund.  Assuming that one is entitled to a refund. I always found it fun - Turbo Tax is good stuff.  While I am not the most organized person in the world, I can generally keep my tax information in one place.


This year, for the first time, I used an accountant.  My finances became a bit more complicated and I figured it was time.

Thanks to Josie of josiespeaksup for submitting a topic idea last week on the "Be a Guest Professor page. I'll get to your suggestion soon. If you have an idea for an Assignment, please let me know!

Karen

3 comments:

  1. It's not that I didn't want to talk about taxes, it's that I was swamped trying to finish taxes. That and all the cr@p that went wrong this week. Nothing that would apply to this assignment, but I'll see if I can come up with something...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, this is a problem. I've already told my best story. I went back to find the link, so as to cheat, and found that I had told the story in response to a different Weekend Assignment! Whatever. Repeat:

    http://chicagovolunteering.blogspot.com/2010/07/learned-helplessness.html

    However. I did write about the taxes. I just forgot to post the link. Again:

    http://chicagovolunteering.blogspot.com/2011/04/weekend-assignment-365-tax-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's mine, finally:

    http://outmavarin.blogspot.com/2011/04/weekend-assignment-366-doh.html

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! We're glad to hear from you. If you are leaving a link to your blog, please write out the whole URL, not just a live link. Thanks!