Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Weekend Assignment #316: National Poetry Month

Note: This is only the third assignment in the new home of the Weekend Assignment, so be sure to let us know if this is your first time playing, so we can give you a proper welcome! :) Now, onto this week's assignment...

Weekend Assignment #316: National Poetry Month NOW CLOSED!

As April wraps up, let's not let it get away without celebrating National Poetry Month. For this assignment, please share with us something about poetry. Tell us about your favorite poet, or quote us a few lines of your favorite poem, or if poetry doesn't happen to be something you enjoy, tell us why!

Extra Credit: Write a Haiku!

Here are the general guidelines for participating:

**1. Please post your response no later than than the deadline day and time given in each week's original assignment entry. You can do this either in a blog entry of your own or in the comments section of the assignment entry.

2. Please mention the Weekend Assignment in your blog post, and include a link back to the original entry. Using one of the logos shown here is encouraged but not mandatory.

3. Please come back here after you've posted, and leave a link to your entry in the comments to the assignment. Please post the URL itself rather than a live link.

4. Visiting other participants' entries is strongly encouraged!

5. We're always looking for topic ideas. Please see the "Teacher's Lounge" page for details. If we use your idea, you will be credited as that week's "guest professor."

6. We reserve the right to remove rude or unpleasant comments (not to mention comment spam), and to leave entries off the linking list if the person has been rude or unpleasant, or fails to mention the Weekend Assignment in the entry.

** This assignment closes at 9:00 PM, EST, next Wednesday. No submissions will be accepted after that time.

Here are your responses to last week's W.A. #315: The Thief Of Time (04/22/10)

Carly...

"I am okay with how I time manage things, and for the most part I manage to do all I would like to do, but there is an exception... time with Alan."

Anne...
(New Participant)

"Two words: The Internet. I cannot count how many nights I have said I was going to finish a book, or start watching those back episodes of Chuck, or go to sleep early and ended up spending four hours online."

Sandrine...


"But if time were flexible, what you I like to have more time for? That's a easy one: sleep."

Kaitlyn...

"It finally hit me. There is one activity that takes up more time than anything else, I think. I do too much of it. I often try to put it off, but I have to give in eventually. Then when I do, I don’t want to stop, especially since the cats love to join me!"

Stephen...

"What would I do with the extra time, if I had it? Ideally, two things. Of course, I’d want to spend time writing. As it is, I don’t have much time for that at all. If I could pencil in an hour a day each week, that would really boost my story-writing productivity. The second thing is also an easy one. Spending time with my family, especially to be more helpful around the house."

Karen...

"I need more sleep. Nothing new there, except that the sleep schedule is as skewed as it's ever been, and insomnia gets in the way or fixing it. But I'm working on it."

Julie...

"I'm afraid this is going to be a fairly mundane answer. I've been so busy with one thing and another that there's no one thing in particular that saps my time."

Greenman 23...
(New Participant)

"...But even then, I’m doing the one thing I waste time with the most: Catastrophizing."

Tommyspoon...

"We are all busy. We all have a million things to do and (seemingly) not enough time to get them all done. We all say at some point: "I wish I had more hours in the day!"




Interesting responses to Karen's assignment! It seems we need a little less computer and a little more sleep! LOL :) Well done everyone!


-Carly

9 comments:

  1. I didn't think I had anything to say about poetry. Turns out, I really did:

    http://chicagovolunteering.blogspot.com/2010/04/talking-poetry-sort-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I participated, thankfully found the right spot, THANKS CARLY!

    http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/04/ellipsis-wa-316-national-poetry-month.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the assignment! :)

    http://ellipsissuddenlycarly.blogspot.com/2010/04/wa-316-national-poetry-month.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd think I'd have more to say about my favorite poem ever, but I guess that's the thing about my favorite poems... they say it all on their own.

    http://kaitlynrmiller.wordpress.com/2010/05/02/weekend-assignment-316/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to cheat a bit on this one:
    http://paris-ankara.blogspot.com/2010/05/shes-poet-and-she-knows-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's my entry...

    http://fdtate.blogspot.com/2010/05/this-weeks-weekend-assignment-is-all.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thoughts on poetry are up. Read, if you dare. :)

    http://everythingsun.blogspot.com/2010/05/weekend-assignment-316-poetry-month.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's mine:

    Karen
    Outpost Mâvarin
    http://outmavarin.blogspot.com/2010/05/weekend-assignment-316-my-poetry.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's my entry for the week, you've been warned. Caution:some bad poetry ahead.
    http://trevorcurtis.tumblr.com/post/574658316/me-and-poetry-a-love-hate-affair-at-cafe-kismet-aka

    ReplyDelete