The stars of my favorite tv show, Doctor Who, are coming to the U.S. next month for five days of location shooting in Utah, a mere 600 miles from my home in Tucson. My urge to drive to Utah and find them is the inspiration for this week's Assignment.
Weekend Assignment # 340: How Far Would You Go?
Some people travel hundreds of miles (in extreme cases, thousands of miles) to see a concert by a favorite performer, or to meet their favorite writers at a convention, or to attend some other kind of public appearance by someone they especially admire. Other people don't even bother to go downtown to take advantage of such an opportunity. How far would you go to meet one or more of your favorite writers, actors, musicians, comedians or other artists, and to attend a performance by him or her or them?
Extra Credit: What is the farthest you have ever gone in a similar situation?
Here are the guidelines if you'd like to participate. Please note that while Carly is on hiatus I've loosened up the deadline just a little.
**1. Please post your response no later than than 12:01 AM on Thursday morning, October 21st, your local time. You can do this either in a blog entry of your own or in the comments section of the assignment entry. No submissions will be accepted after that time unless I really want to.
2. Please mention the Weekend Assignment in your blog post, and include a link back to the original entry. Using one of the logos shown here is encouraged but not mandatory.
3. Please come back here after you've posted, and leave a link to your entry in the comments to the assignment. Please post the URL itself rather than a live link.
4. Visiting other participants' entries is strongly encouraged!
5. We're always looking for topic ideas. Please see the "Teacher's Lounge" page for details. If we use your idea, you will be credited as that week's "guest professor." Help me out, folks, because sometimes I run dry when doing this week after week!
6. We reserve the right to remove rude or unpleasant comments (not to mention comment spam), and to leave entries off the linking list if the person has been rude or unpleasant, or fails to mention the Weekend Assignment in the entry.
Last week's Weekend Assignment #339: Happy Endings inspired only a few responses. Please click on each person's name to see their full entry:
Stephen Watkins said...
It was spent frantically packing. My roommate, a buddy of mine, had just gotten married. I was renting a room in his house, but he was coming home with his new bride, and I needed to vacate the premises, and pronto. This was another reason why I felt that the time was right for my move to “A-town”. If I was going to have to move out of my buddy’s house anyway, why go back to renting a small apartment in a dead-end town?
Karen Funk Blocher said...
I thought that, this being my last day in the F-M school district, it would be nice to visit a few teachers from when I was younger - much younger. The school in which I went to fourth through sixth grades was long gone, and the junior high had moved even further toward the edge of town several years earlier. But Manlius Elementary still existed, and was right across the street from Temple's Dairy Store in the village of Manlius, about a mile from my house. So that's where I went.
And oops! We missed out on Anne's entry!
I had mismanaged my on-campus dining funds, such that I had a couple hundred dollars left on my i.d. So we went over, ordered pizzas and I let the kids go grocery shopping in the cafe. That was a lot of bags of Doritos. Then we sat down to eat, and figure out how the heck we would manage to keep in touch: with me going home, Christine going home to St. Louis, etc. The difference this year was that Christine and I weren't coming back to school in the fall.
That's it for now. I hope some of you will take the time to tell us how far you would go, or have gone, to see your favorite celebrities. Have a great week!