Thursday, October 21, 2010

Weekend Assignment #341: Overexposed

NOW CLOSED!

Hi, folks!This week's WA question is a simple one:


Weekend Assignment # 341: Overexposed
Some things (or people) explode into the culture, are really big for a while and then overstay their welcome. Who or what are you really tired of seeing, hearing or reading about these days?

Extra Credit: What discarded bit of pop culture do you remember fondly?

Here are the guidelines if you'd like to participate. Please note that while Carly is on hiatus I've loosened up the deadline just a little.

**1. Please post your response no later than than 12:01 AM on Thursday morning, October 28th, your local time. You can do this either in a blog entry of your own or in the comments section of the assignment entry. No submissions will be accepted after that time unless I really want to.

2. Please mention the Weekend Assignment in your blog post, and include a link back to the original entry. Using one of the logos shown here is encouraged but not mandatory.

3. Please come back here after you've posted, and leave a link to your entry in the comments to the assignment. Please post the URL itself rather than a live link.

4. Visiting other participants' entries is strongly encouraged!

5. We're always looking for topic ideas. Please see the "Teacher's Lounge" page for details. If we use your idea, you will be credited as that week's "guest professor." Help me out, folks, because sometimes I run dry when doing this week after week!

6. We reserve the right to remove rude or unpleasant comments (not to mention comment spam), and to leave entries off the linking list if the person has been rude or unpleasant, or fails to mention the Weekend Assignment in the entry.

Last week's Weekend Assignment #340: How Far Would You Go? inspired three responses. Please click on each person's name to see their full entry:

Anne said...
Oh, am I sorry to say I am in the “don’t even bother” category. It starts with music – I had really bad concert luck at an impressionable age. I live outside of Chicago and went to college in Washington DC. So inevitably, any time that a band I loved was touring at home, I was at school. Also, the only artist I loved more than Bono was Freddie Mercury, who died just as I was coming-of-concert-age. I would have gone pretty far to see Freddie Mercury live.

See also Anne's response to the previous Weekend Assignment, newly-added to the entry below this one.)

Stephen Watkins said...
Who’m I kidding?  I’ve never really gone anywhere to see anyone even remotely bordering on famous.  Heck, I’ve lived in Atlanta, now, for four years, and yet I’ve never even taken the time to go to Dragon*Con - a fantasy and sci-fi convention that regularly draws celebrities of various kinds (writers, actors, directors, etc.) involved in the production of many of my favorite fantasy and sci-fi entertainments.  That’s right… I’ve never even gone to the trouble of driving downtown to catch my favorite writers, actors, and characters.

Karen Funk Blocher said...
Back in 1990 through 1993, I used to drive the 500 miles or so to the Los Angeles area a couple times a year, indulging my Quantum Leap and Doctor Who habits. I think there were two years in which the Gallifrey One and Quantum Leap conventions were the same weekend, and my friends and I scrambled to attend both. Other times we drove to Universal Studios and managed to talk to people in the production office, interviewing writers, actors, producers or directors, or some combination thereof. On one of our last Leap trips, my car's transmission died forever north of Palm Springs. I sold the Capri to a junkyard and we flew off to Los Angeles, where we watched filming on the Universal lot, and interviewed Scott Bakula for the first and only time. Oh, and I lost our return airline tickets and hard to borrow money to buy more. It was a heck of a weekend, but absolutely worth it.

That's it for now. I look forward to reading what you're sick to death of, and what you wouldn't mind seeing back again. Have a great week!

Karen

3 comments:

  1. And I almost forgot to post my link again!

    http://chicagovolunteering.blogspot.com/2010/10/overexposed.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a tough one to pin down...

    http://www.3rsblog.com/2010/10/your-15-minutes-are-up-weekend.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for me, I've had more than enough of vampires on page and screen!

    http://outmavarin.blogspot.com/2010/10/weekend-assignment-341-overexposed.html

    ReplyDelete