Thursday, November 11, 2010

Weekend Assignment # 344: Fall Favorites

NOW CLOSED!

Let's do this:

Weekend Assignment # 344: Fall Favorites
Some people like autumn leaves. Others like foods associated with this time of year, particular holidays, sports, weather, or even the run up to Christmas and Hanukkah. What is your favorite thing about Fall? (Note: if you're in the Southern Hemisphere, tell us about Spring instead!)

Extra Credit: What do you like least about this time of year?

Here are the guidelines if you'd like to participate. Please note that while Carly is on hiatus I've loosened up the deadline just a little.

**1. Please post your response no later than than 12:01 AM on Thursday morning, November 17th, your local time. You can do this either in a blog entry of your own or in the comments section of the assignment entry. No submissions will be accepted after that time unless I really want to.

2. Please mention the Weekend Assignment in your blog post, and include a link back to the original entry. Using one of the logos shown here is encouraged but not mandatory.

3. Please come back here after you've posted, and leave a link to your entry in the comments to the assignment. Please post the URL itself rather than a live link.

4. Visiting other participants' entries is strongly encouraged!

5. We're always looking for topic ideas. Please see the "Teacher's Lounge" page for details. If we use your idea, you will be credited as that week's "guest professor." Help me out, folks, because sometimes I run dry when doing this week after week!

6. We reserve the right to remove rude or unpleasant comments (not to mention comment spam), and to leave entries off the linking list if the person has been rude or unpleasant, or fails to mention the Weekend Assignment in the entry.

For Weekend Assignment #243: Read It Again, I asked about your re-reading habits, if any. Please click on each person's name to see their full entry:

Julie said...
Haven't had much of a chance to participate in this lately, but this one is timely for me as I just exhausted the last new book in the stack and I'm up tonight with asthma issues. (Oh, I'll be fine. I started in on what I hope will become a new fitness routine today and I was over-enthusiastic. I just need to take it slow.) So yes, I frequently scour the bookcases for things to read again when I've hit the bottom of the TBR stack.

Anne said...
I love re-reading. I love to re-live a plot and take another look at the characters and see the things that I didn't see the first time when I just wanted to know what happens next?! However. If I had the luxury of three lifetimes, I would not get to all of the books I want to read. So I don't indulge in it as much as I'd like.

Florinda said...
I was a frequent re-reader for much of my life - up into my early thirties, actually. As a kid I re-read my favorites often; as I got older, I didn’t do as much of it, but there were still a few books I took back off the shelves every few years. Some had become literary comfort food, while I was hoping to find something new in revisiting others.

Karen Funk Blocher said...
Once I buy a book, I am almost certain to read it more than once, probably three or more times over a period of decades. In fact, aside from a basic collector's mania, that's why I buy all the books I read, and have borrowed a total of one book (I think) from a library in the past two decades. I figure, if it's worth reading, it's worth owning, so that I can read it again at a moment's notice. I mean, really! If I'm thinking about the Harper Hall Trilogy at three in the morning, I can go right to the shelf my Pern books are on, and start reading it again.


That's it for now. I look forward to reading about your favorite fall celebrations. Have a great week!

Karen

2 comments:

  1. Here is mine:

    http://chicagovolunteering.blogspot.com/2010/11/cider-doughnuts-and-football.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's mine. I go off the rails a bit at the end, for a peek at a major Tucson landmark that celebrates two anniversaries this fall.

    http://outmavarin.blogspot.com/2010/11/weekend-assignment-i-love-tucson-in.html

    ReplyDelete